A true reference in the world of video streaming, Disney+ allows you to watch films from your childhood as much as you want, but also original series and documentaries on mobile, computer and TV. A friendly and family platform.
Disney++ is the big-eared giant’s video-on-demand (SVOD) service platform. Its rich catalog includes cartoons from our childhood as well as its flagship licenses, including original creations. A strong argument that positions it as one of the major VOD platforms in France, alongside Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. To take advantage of it, you must subscribe to a monthly or annual subscription, have an Internet connection and install the application to watch videos – in standard quality, in HD or even in 4 K – as on TV or on a computer (via a browser web) or mobile (smartphone or tablet). Disney+ can be viewed on 4 screens simultaneously.
A catalog for young and old alike
One of the strengths of Disney+ is the wide variety of its catalog, which plays both on nostalgia with its famous animated films, and on novelty with its original creations. There are six main categories:
- Disney: the platform brings together almost all the films and animated series that rocked our childhood – Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Frozen, The Nightmare Before Christmas – but also live action adaptations – The Lion King, Maleficent, Pinocchio and many others. Moreover, some new releases no longer even go through the cinema box!
- Pixar: Disney is nothing without Pixar classics, like the complete Toy Story and Cars, and the many animated films like Ratatouille and up there. There are also many short films and original creations, such as spin-off series Welcome to Doug Where Fourchette asks questions.
- Marvel: the Marvel universe is available in almost its entirety, with the various Spider-Man, the entire X-Men and the famous Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). Moreover, the latter is constantly expanding, since the platform offers both blockbusters released in cinemas – Doctor Strange, Iron Man, Avengers – only original and exclusive series – such as the superb Wanda Vision and Loki. Many more are still planned.
- Star Wars: for the other fully exploited license of the firm, we of course have the right to films, cartoons – The Clone Wars and rebel – but also to original series, such as The Mandalorian, The Book of Boba Fett and Obi-Wan Kenobi. Again, many other projects have been announced.
- National Geographic: many documentaries are available on flora, fauna, science and history. Something to change the atmosphere a little and enrich your general culture!
- Star: with a much more adult content, this category offers films – including French ones –, popular series such as simpsons and Grey’s Anatomyas well as original productions, including some Emmy-winning ones.
Note, in all this choice, the presence of bonuses, such as trailers, deleted scenes, karaoke songs – just in case Snow Queen – and making-offs for each program.
Disney+: many very user-friendly functions
Disney’s interface is very clear and practical, although it doesn’t look very original compared to the competition. We find a black background – dark blue for the Children profiles. The six main categories – Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and Star – are at the very top. The programs are then offered according to their genre or according to what has been watched previously. There is of course the traditional search bar to find a work via its title, the name of a character or the film genre. In each sheet, Disney+ offers a series of suggestions. For example, on that of Pirates of the Caribbean The Secret of the Cursed Chestthe platform offers to watch the other films of the saga, but also films on the theme of pirates – like Treasure Island – and adventure – like Benjamin Gates.
Disney+ has classic and effective functions. Each user creates their profile in order to have content that suits them, which goes through parental control, with the possibility of activating child profiles, classification by age group and setting up a PIN code. One of the popular functions – and absent from Netflix – is GroupWatch, which allows you to watch the same video at the same time with other users – up to 6 people. Like other streaming services, Disney+ allows you to download content on mobile to watch it later offline (see our practical sheet). A very practical solution since it allows access to the service even without an Internet connection, as long as you do it in advance.
Disney+: a cheaper subscription than Netflix
To download Disney+ and enjoy all the video content promoted by the streaming platform, you must pay a monthly or annual subscription. Currently the prices are 8.99 euros per month or 89.90 euros per year. However, the firm recently announced a price increase for its subscription in the United States from December 8, 2022, and the arrival of a new low-cost formula with advertising. An unsurprising decision, insofar as the giant with big ears aligns itself with the policy of its competitors Netflix and Amazon. The basic plan has been renamed Disney+ Premium and will go from $7.99 to $10.99 monthly. For its part, the annual subscription will go from 69.99 dollars to 109.99 dollars.
Disney is also working on a new “low-cost” subscription that will include advertising. This one, called Disney + Basic, will be launched at a price of 7.99 dollars per month, the price of the current high-end offer. These will be 15 to 30 second long ads for a total of four minutes of ads per hour of content viewed. The good news is that – unlike Netflix – the entire catalog will be accessible, and all programs – including those for children – should not be affected.