National vs. Peñarol: Prosecutor’s Office advances looking for answers about an operation that went from successful to opening an investigation

The classic chapter is not over yet. What at first was described by the head of the operation, Assael Arcos, as a successful job, with the passing of days became a thorough investigation that went to the Justice and has been running for almost a month.

Facts that had gone under the table to the authorities began to be uncovered and even splashed references to the security of Nationalthat in the internal one they were forced to rethink their balance on what happened, in part also due to the suspicion raised by the prosecutor Ferdinand Roman about the fact that Gremio partisans allegedly attended the game posing as tricolor partners to give their support to the local fans in case of incidents.

There are still many questions and very few answers. Some have been given by the president of Nacional, Jose Fuentes, who at this time went from referring to greasing as a “not so serious” matter and that if it had been done as a preventive measure it did not seem “so bad”, to pointing out that to blame the fans who had entered the to repaint the visiting tribune in order to erase offensive messages, it was necessary to have “proof”. “To accuse or convict someone you have to have proof, not an assumption or a hypothesis. And if there were, we would have no problem recognizing it. It would be silly not to do it, ”he assured in dialogue with La Pecera, from Azul FM.

The leader himself acknowledged that the club no longer has the recordings of that day to unravel the matter: “Nobody asked for them. After the classic, the division of Violence in Sports requested the filming (but) from 11 in the morning to 6 in the afternoon (on Sunday) ”, he said.

The case

Paravalanches of the Héctor Scarone with grease. Photo: Twitter.
Paravalanches of the Héctor Scarone with grease. Photo: Twitter.

The unknowns are several. One is, precisely who and at what moment the grease that bathed the fabrics and paravalanches of the Héctor Scarone Tribune was placed -although all eyes point to the group of tricolor fans who entered the sector two days before the match-. The other is how the security authorities who inspected the area two hours before the entry of Peñarol’s partners overlooked it. And the third points to the action of Justice.

The panorama led the Prosecutor’s Office to summon four tricolor leaders, with Fuentes and Alexander Balby at the head, and two aurinegros (Ignatius Ruglio Y Edward Zaindesztat) for October 5 and 6. To understand why it is necessary to go back three weeks in time. At that time, the aurinegros fans, as soon as they stepped on the Scarone, ran into the greaser and this, in the eyes of the Romano prosecutor, constitutes a foul, which can be sanctioned by the Uruguayan Football Association (AUF), but not a crime. . For this reason, he ruled out that there are reasons to attribute a cover-up to Nacional as a criminal act despite not having the recordings, he explained to Ovation.

The Champion of the Century behind closed doors for Peñarol-Villa Española. Photo: Gerardo Pérez.

On the Peñarol side, Zaindesztat was willing to collaborate in the judicial investigation, as was Ruglio, although he said he had objections to the decision of the AUF Disciplinary Commission, which will study the appeal filed by Nacional to lower his sanction from two home games without the presence of the public.

“If the sanction has already started to run, it cannot be that it is allowed to appeal. There is the principle of execution of the sanction”, he said and, on the appointment of the Prosecutor’s Office, he added: “We will gladly collaborate. It is our obligation as leaders of a club, but for me we have to rethink and think if it is not time for the police to be back in the stands”.

National vs. Peñarol: Prosecutor’s Office advances looking for answers about an operation that went from successful to opening an investigation